NYC trip 2016

It’s been a little quiet around here lately, because I’ve been away traveling with friends and Brian this past weekend!  We took a short 3-day trip to NYC with our friends, Sarah and Zach, and had a really great time (despite some really annoying weather).  I believe it was January when Brian and Zach started scheming about seeing a Pacers game at Madison Square Garden.  They thought Sarah and I would be a hard sell, but NYC?  I’m always in.  Us girls planned separate activities for the time the boys would be at the game, and our plans were set.


day one

We had our best weather on Saturday, and had to take full advantage!  We arrived at our hotel around lunchtime, and found a cute little pizza place to start our vacation with some NYC-style pizza.  Then, we were off.  We walked around seeing Times Square, 5th Avenue, Central Park, and Rockefeller Plaza.  Weather was in the 60’s…mostly cloudy, but a few times the sun peeked out for a gorgeous spring day!  I’m so glad we took advantage of the weather, because the following two days were NOT pretty, haha.

Holcomb’s in Central Park
Patterson’s in Central Park

We split off around late afternoon so we could have separate date nights.  After a quick cat nap at the hotel, Brian and I had dinner at Serafina’s, a cute little Italian restaurant, and then went to Lindy’s for their “world famous cheesecake” and coffee.

date night!

day two

We woke up Sunday morning and winter was back.  It was about 30 degrees and incredibly windy, but we knew we had to brave the weather to make the most of our time!  After a classic diner breakfast, we set off for the 9/11 memorial, the financial district, and Battery Park so we could get a quick glimpse of the Statue of Liberty.  I’m getting cold just writing this, because we were SO.COLD!  We stopped off for some coffee to warm up, then back to the hotel so we could get ready for the evening’s activities.

 IMG_2876 IMG_2873

The boys had basketball plans that evening, so Sarah and I were off to a show – Kinky Boots!  I’ve been wanting to see this show forever…I had a few show choir clients do songs from the show when it first came out, and I loved the music.  Wayne Brady has been starring in the show lately as one of the leads, and we were really disappointed we missed him probably just by a few days.  The lead was fantastic, but I really had my hopes set on Wayne 🙁

IMG_2887 IMG_2877

After the show we made our way up to Serendipity (made famous by the chick flick “Serendipity”) for dinner, and their famous frozen hot chocolate.  So yummy!


can I have one to go, please??

You can definitely tell this restaurant is a popular tourist destination!  We had about a 45 minute wait, and there were still people lined up at the door when we left.  The decor is very quirky, Alice in Wonderland-esque, and I’m really glad we got to experience it.

day three

People, Mother Nature was having a real laugh by this point.  We woke up Monday morning (our last day), and it was POURING.  I had so many grand visions of how we could spend our last day in the city, but some of them just weren’t happening with this weather.  We took our time eating breakfast (maybe it would let up?), and then decided to take a cab over to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  This place is huge!  We spent over 3 hours there and probably didn’t see 1/4 of it.

ya know, selfies with Monet

Several people had told me about Shake Shack, so I knew we had to check it out.  This place was CRAZY!  We didn’t eat lunch until 3:00, and there was still a line out the door to order, and standing room only to eat.  After sloshing through the rain and walking a museum for 3 hours, my feet were really begging for a chair, but we went for it.  And it was so.yummy.  These people have burgers, fries and shakes figured out!

At this point, it’s still raining like there’s no tomorrow, so we spent the rest of our afternoon checking out the 9-floor Macy’s before we headed to the airport.  We tried to make the most of our soggy last day!  Our flight was set to leave at 9:00, but because of the weather, we didn’t leave the ground until after midnight.  The boys kept us entertained by playing games on the airport Ipads, and winning snack prizes (so funny/embarrassing).  I have never been so happy to see my bed when we finally made it home at 3 a.m.!

Our travel plans didn’t go quite as we expected, but they never do, right?  We had a great time spending quality time as a couple, and with our good friends.  I am really lucky to have the rest of the week home with Corinne…the weather still isn’t great (c’mon Indiana!), but we are loving the extra time together.  This week has been great for the soul!

Leave a Reply